Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Creating with low tech and what's on hand

I find myself making videos of paintings for the various social media sites using what I have on hand usually. Since I'm not a photographer, but I have to be one anyway to take good photos of my work to post, I've had to get very creative with how I create postable photos.

I love natural sunlight and cloudy days are especially good for providing nice even diffuse light on the subjects I photograph. I have used bedsheets in the past, but recently I did invest in a piece of 36 inch white paper from the art store to use as a backdrop. Backgrounds are just as important as foregrounds, since we want the focus of our images to be on the image, and not whatever is distracting in the background.

I set up the backdrop in a way so I am not blocking my natural light source when I stand behind the camera (usually my iphone). If it's a still shot, or a timelapse, I'll use my tripod. If it's a video, I steady myself by leaning on whatever is near, usually a chair. Then I pan slowly, zoom slowly, and do a voice over since so many sites take down videos that use music they provide! Better to do your own original sound when possible.

I can edit the video into shorter clips if I want, right on my iphone, then upload them as "multiples" in a combined video on whatever site I upload them to. It's time consuming and pretty tedious for a painter to become a cinematographer and video editor and.. and... and... but that's the modern age, n'est pas?

Find me on you tube, instagram, facebook, or whatever your favorite site is at juliekfournier. Like and share and follow and that all supports me so I can keep on making cool art for you! Until next time, stay safe out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment